Friday, January 18, 2008

I Heart Oconomowoc!

As most of you know, I took the long route to a college graduation. I worked for nearly a decade in Houston, Texas, and for the last couple years I attended Houston Community College at night, earning my AA in 2006. I completed my bachelor's degree at Colorado State University in 2007 (this past December). Needless to say, it's been a busy few years!

Now that I've finished, I find myself not entirely ready to make a decision as to what direction to go next. Do I get my Masters Degree? Go to Law School? Or, do I just get a job I expect will be long term? Well, I just don't know. I must admit that at nearly thirty years old it would be nice to have some sort of direction in life, but a clear path has yet to present itself.

In part to delay the decision making process, I decided to take a trip back to someplace I hadn't been in nearly fifteen years: Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, the place I grew up. I dropped Rajah off for boarding on January 7th, and headed North East...back home.

I drove North through Wyoming, then East though the entire beautiful state of Nebraska, which I don't remember ever having been through before. Nebraska was beautiful, as evidenced by this shot I took right of Highway 20. I saw deer, antelope and wild turkeys along the way. FYI: If you ever have the opportunity of driving through Nebraska, I highly suggest taking the North route (Hwy 20), and get your "wave hand" ready. Almost everyone you pass on the highway will send a wave your way - this is the part of the US I love! Friendly people and beautiful scenery.

My first stop on my trip was Estherville, Iowa where I visited my maternal grandmother. I just love being back in her house. It's built on the top of a hill and is surrounded by trees and wildlife. She made us steak and french fries for lunch the next day (awesome) and I obediently went along with her to see National Treasure that night.

While Eastward bound I only spent one full day in Estherville, leaving Wednesday morning to head to Wisconsin! I drove up and through the Southern portion of Minnesota, then back down along the Mississippi...and finally over into my home state. It was so great to be back. Paneled houses, rolling hills and red barns everywhere. Wisconsin kicks ass. As far as wildlife, I saw a bald eagle and (not so wild) two camels kept on a farm in Eastern Iowa. Strange pet, but to each their own.

At about 4pm I saw it...the exit for Oconomowoc. Woohoo, I was home! I stayed at the Inn at Pine Terrace, a beautiful mansion that now serves as a B&B. This place has been around since 1879, and I felt very lucky to be able to stay in a place that has such historic value in Oconomowoc. Plus, it was right on Fowler lake, so one morning I was able to do the two mile trek around the lake before breakfast...what a perfect start to the day!

I was only in Wisconsin for three full days, which I divided between time spent in Oconomowoc and Milwaukee. Both cities are awesome. One of my first stops was to see my old elementary school, which is now abandoned (see the broken windows on the top floor?). Very sad. I have such great memories of this place, and it was really hard to see it looking so sad. No kids running around, all the playground equipment long gone...ouch.

Of course, I drove down my old street more times than I cared to count. We lived on Hillcrest Court, and there were about a dozen kids on the street right around my age.
Damn, my life was pretty perfect up until age 10 (when we moved)! This was a great place to grow up - and it would have been a great place to stay, considering how the property value has risen. Our house sold for under $100,000 twenty years ago, and the listing for one up for sale right now is a quarter million. Also, it looks like that's about the lowest you can find something for in Oconomowoc; can't get anything on the lakes for under $1.5 million. Dang, Oconomowoc! I didn't know you had it in you!

In Milwaukee I went to the Public Museum, which mom took us to many times as children. They have this awesome part, "The Streets of Old Milwaukee," and I couldn't get a single picture to come out. Too bad. It shows how Milwaukee looked back in the 1800s - Usingers, Schlitz and the like (if you don't know what Usingers is, you obviously never lived in the Midwest). This was my favorite place in the museum, and little has changed in the last two decades.


I also love Milwaukee's way of introducing dinosaurs to children - a Tyrannosaur, blood dripping from its jaws, leaning down for another bite out of the triceratops it has killed. Awesome. No purple Barney in Milwaukee - you know if this T-Rex came alive, she'd eat you and everyone you love. If she was full before she got to you, she'd probably stomp on your sorry ass just out of spite. This my be the coolest museum exhibit in the history of the world, and I took about fourteen pictures of it. This is even more noteworthy when you consider that I don't have a memory card for my camera, and had to download about every eight shots.

My trip to Wisconsin was more about places than people...a contemplative trip, as my Aunt put it. I did see my Mom's best friend Bonnie, which was great. Other than that, though, I mostly spent my time traveling around to places I remembered being with my mom. The memories sure do start pouring back - every time I'd walk around a corner I'd see things that looked exactly as I remembered them. They say you can't go back home, and there's no doubt some truth to that statement. But, I could totally see myself living in Oconomowoc again - when I'm rich, that is. It's a great town (even has a drive in burger and custard place...The Kiltie rocks so hard), and a great place to raise a family or to retire - even saw some "grandparents at play" signs around the lake. Loaded old people.

I have started watching the real estate sites for Oconomowoc...I sure do love Colorado, but Wisconsin is a state I'd love to live in again one day. The people in the Midwest are nicer than anywhere in the country, and it's got the laid back attitude I love so much. Nothing wrong with that!

For those few of you who have the time and money, I highly recommend taking a trip by yourself, for yourself should the opportunity ever present itself. Of all I've done over the years, this last week was one of the best experiences of my life, and I'll never forget it. Get out there, people!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oconomowoc rocks! Cheese, good beer, and good people. Yum.

Anonymous said...

A very well written, well illustrated description of your winter walk about! Well done.
I'm vea, vea glad that you didn't get stuck in a snowbank and go MIA until the springtime!

Unknown said...

O. K., that's nice, you've had some fun, now get a boring, dead-end job, and join the lunch-at-your-desk crowd for the main portion of your adult life.
Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

You should blog more often and practice your skills.......it's April and your readers want some new material..........use your skills.....chickens have large talons......